Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 16 March 2010

Ghana reflections part I

I've been thinking of holidays lately for a number of reasons - the need for a recuperative respite, the up-coming holiday season and not forgetting it's coming up to two, long, sun starved years since I last boarded a plane; yeah, I know, not exactly cause to throw myself into the nearest Thomas Cook, but still, it'd be nice to venture abroad. So, I 've decided to feed my holiday hunger by pouring over my holiday snaps from Ghana '06. It was my first time visiting as an adult having been as an eight-year-old, so I was now able to fully appreciate what Ghana had to offer. Here are some of my favourite snaps.


I love this shot, it's just so evocative and encapsulates everything about a typical Ghanaian sunset: the warmth of the setting sun that you can almost feel through the photo, the calm of the surf and the fishing boats docked on the sandy banks - visual poetry.

The picture below was taken at the madness that is  Makola Market, a entity of staggering proportions, a place Ghanaians can shop for home goods, food, car tyres or an impromptu new hair do - Ghanaian braids, extensions...buzz cuts...take your pick.
I love how the vivid colours of these palm nuts take centre stage surrounded by muted greens and the rough, dull surface of the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment