Powered By Blogger

Sunday 11 April 2010

Nutty orange toffee pieces - Nketia cake

I've decided to lay off the savoury tone of the blog for a couple of recipes (maybe?) so here we have a sweet dish, one which I've only eaten once or twice as a wee lad in gray knee highs with ashy elbows. After thinking about  the ingredients and how to make it, I thought, 'It's just too easy', but my Mum assured me it's a Ghanaian classic and for the very ease of preparation I should definitely include it in the blog - Well, no more convincing needed on my part, so here it is!



Ingredients

3 tbsp soft brown sugar
Large knob butter/margarine
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp fresh orange juice
1 heaped tbsp of crushed macadamia nuts

Heat the brown sugar in a pan with the butter until boiling and bubbling, all the while stirring vigourously or until the consistency is smooth and brown like molten caramel. Add salt and stir until mixture starts to thicken and finally add nuts and the orange juice. Pour the mixture into a small dish and refridgerate until hard. In Ghana they form the mixture into small bite-sized balls once heated and the orange juice is a little creative aside, for this recipe I poured the mixture into a dish and once hardened I broke them up into small pieces. Perfect to pop into a bag for on-the-go nibbles.


No comments:

Post a Comment