Powered By Blogger

Sunday 26 June 2011

New recipe: Kahcrow

A great bonding session came about with my Aunt Thelma while making the new recipe for HP. Let me explain further: I needed advice with creating a new dish for the blog and my sister, Katherine suggested I contact Aunt Thelma for help (which I did), as she was a renowned caterer in her younger years back in Ghana; so a couple of catch-up, I haven’t heard from you in ages, when are you getting married conversations and I’d made a date to visit my Auntie. She hasn’t changed: jolly, cheerfully loud and she remembers my voracious appetite, so had a steaming plate of rice n beans with meat stew waiting for me! And all within 10 minutes of rocking up at her house! Well, after I was satiated, we went about knocking up a great, traditional Ghanaian delicacy called ‘ Kahcrow’ (Kaaahcrow) which consists of mashed plantain, hot green Ghanaian chilli peppers, ginger and a spice called ‘Soh’ which has a smell akin to cloves, but looks like a mini piece of brown twig. Having never heard of ‘Soh, I was really excited and expectant as to how the dish would taste. Aunt Thelma made it all look so easy (as you can imagine, with all her years of experience), while engaging in conversation and talking on the phone all at the same time – Ghanaian woman take multi-tasking to a whole new level – and did I mention she has an ten ring stove? Industrial cooking appliances are the mark of a true Ghanaian caterer!

No comments:

Post a Comment